Leonardo DiCaprio is one of Hollywood’s biggest stars.
He’s also one of the highest paid actors in the world, and one of the most recognizable stars of the past few decades.
Since his acting debut in the early 1990s, he has had the whole world in a chokehold with his powerful performances and charisma.
With the credits that he has racked up over the years, it’s easy to see why so many people love him.
And, his talent has earned him several awards and nominations.
From Golden Globes to SAGAs, DiCaprio has been nominated for 54 awards over the past 3 decades.
It has been a running meme for many years that, despite his several Oscar nominations, it took him a little while to finally earn his very own Academy Award.
How many has he won since? How many Oscars does he own altogether?
In this article, we’ll find out how many Oscars Leo has won (as of 2022), and where he ranks among other famous actors who have also won an award or two.
Let’s get started.
The Career Of Leonardo DiCaprio
Leonardo Wilhelm DiCaprio was born on November 11th, 1974.
His acting career officially began in the late 80s when he began shooting television commercials during his early teens.
At this point, DiCaprio stated that he either wanted to become an actor or a marine biologist when he grew up.
He made his film debut in the 1991 low-budget slasher Critters 3, a movie that DiCaprio has since stated that he ‘prefers not to remember’.
DiCaprio’s first notable role came in 1993, when he played a young, disabled boy in What’s Eating Gilbert Grape.
He starred alongside the already famous Johnny Depp, and made his stamp as a leading man at the age of 19.
This role also led to DiCaprio’s first Oscar nomination, for Best Supporting Actor.
He reached true global recognition through his role of Jack in James Cameron’s Titanic, a movie that quickly became the highest grossing movie of all time.
Surprisingly, DiCaprio was not nominated for any high-end awards for Titanic.
Following the success of Titanic, DiCaprio starred in movies such as The Aviator (2005), Blood Diamond (2007), The Wolf of Wall Street (2014), and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2020), all of which he was nominated for Academy Awards.
Other Awards That Leonardo DiCaprio Has Won
Since his acting debut in the late eighties, DiCaprio has proved time and time again that he can carry a movie.
His performance in Titanic was widely considered to be one of his best roles of all time.
It’s no surprise then that he has been nominated for several major awards throughout his career.
In fact, there have been several complaints over the years that DiCaprio has not won more awards, especially when it comes to Academy Award nominations.
Many people believe that several of these awards were robbed from him, when he should’ve received them.
However, do not be fooled: DiCaprio has won many awards over the years, and rightfully so.
Here are some of the many awards that he has claimed over the course of his career.
Golden Globe Awards
- ‘Best Actor in a Motion Picture’ for The Aviator (2005)
- ‘Best Actor in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy’ for The Wolf of Wall Street (2014)
- ‘Best Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama’ for The Revenant (2016)
Screen Actors Guild Awards
- ‘Outstanding Performance by Male Actor in a Leading Role’ for The Revenant (2016)
British Academy Film and Television Awards (BAFTAs)
- ‘Best Film Actor in a Leading Role’ for The Revenant (2016)
Academy Awards That Leonardo DiCaprio Has Won
As we previously mentioned, there have been many complaints about the lack of Oscars that DiCaprio has won throughout his career.
He has starred in so many outstanding motion pictures over the years, and yet, his Oscar wins are few and far between.
Unfortunately, DiCaprio has been put up against many of the Academy’s greatest actors during his nominations, meaning that difficult decisions had to be made.
While not everybody agreed with the outcomes, there is no denying that his competition were extremely hard to beat, and they deserved the awards just as much as DiCaprio did.
Perhaps, more so… although, this is still, very much, up for debate.
Below, we have made a list of each and every Academy Award that DiCaprio has been nominated for since his first nomination in 1994, as well as a list of every Academy Award he has actually won.
Academy Award Nominations
- ‘Best Supporting Actor’ for What’s Eating Gilbert Grape (1994)
- Lost to Tommy Lee Jones for his role in The Fugitive.
- ‘Best Actor’ for The Aviator (2004)
- Lost to Jamie Foxx for his role in Ray.
- ‘Best Actor’ for Blood Diamond (2007)
- Lost to Forest Whitaker for his role in The Last King in Scotland.
- ‘Best Actor’ for The Wolf of Wall Street (2014)
- Lost to Matthew McConaughey for his role in Dallas Buyers Club.
- ‘Best Actor’ for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2020)
- Lost to Joaquin Phoenix for his role in Joker.
Academy Award Wins
- ‘Best Actor’ for The Revenant (2016)
The Stars Who Have Won The Most Oscars in History
Leonardo DiCaprio may have only won 1 Oscar throughout his career so far, but he has certainly earned his place among the most successful actors of all time.
His accolades include being one of the highest-grossing actors of all time, having starred in some of the most successful movies of all time, and winning an award for Best Actor at the 2016 Academy Awards.
At his current age of 47, we have no doubt that he will continue to win more Oscars in the future.
The Oscars are, without doubt, the most prestigious awards ceremony in the world, and it’s great to see someone who has worked so hard to achieve success finally get their due recognition.
Over the years, many actors and actresses have received their own Oscars, and some of them have even won more than one award throughout their careers.
Here is a list of actors and actresses that have won the most Oscars throughout history.
Actors With The Most Academy Awards Won
- Jack Nicholson: 3 wins and 12 nominations
- ‘Best Actor’ for One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1976)
- ‘Best Supporting Actor’ for Terms of Endearment (1984)
- ‘Best Actor’ for As Good as it Gets (1998)
- Daniel Day-Lewis: 3 wins and 6 nominations
- ‘Best Actor’ for My Left Foot (1990)
- ‘Best Actor’ for There Will Be Blood (2008)
- ‘Best Actor’ for Lincoln (2013)
Actresses With The Most Academy Awards Won
- Katharine Hepburn: 4 wins and 12 nominations
- ‘Best Actress’ for Morning Glory (1934)
- ‘Best Actress’ for Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner (1968)
- ‘Best Actress’ for The Lion in Winter (1969)
- ‘Best Actress’ for On Golden Pond (1982)
- Meryl Streep: 3 wins and 21 nominations
- ‘Best Supporting Actress’ for Kramer vs. Kramer (1980)
- ‘Best Actress’ for Sophie’s Choice (1983)
- ‘Best Actress’ for The Iron Lady (2012)
It’s amazing how much Leonardo DiCaprio has achieved over the course of his life so far.
He has been nominated for countless awards throughout his career, and he has also won several awards himself.
It’s really incredible that he was able to earn so many awards in just one lifetime, and we have no doubt that his achievements will continue to grow in the future.
We hope you enjoyed this article on Leonardo DiCaprio’s Oscar record as of 2022.
If you enjoyed this article, you might enjoy our post on ‘Lord Of The Rings Trivia‘.
- Where Was Tombstone Filmed? - May 12, 2022
- Where Was Patton Filmed? - May 12, 2022
- Where Was Safe Haven Filmed? - May 12, 2022